Sunday, April 6, 2008

Communication.. Understanding

Is it possible that all quarrels and problems exist due to a lack of effective communication? If we continue to feed off of someone else's emotions (anger, sadness, etc.) rather than attempt to create a dialogue that reveals the underlying problem, we only sustain misunderstanding.

Misunderstanding and ignorance attest to the prevalent issue of prejudice. I've come to realize that racist attitudes are not necessarily self-taught, and some people created opinions based on what they grew up around and the influence of others. However, when you call it to their attention that a term they used or something they said is politically incorrect, we can begin to rebuild their worldview and break down the ignorance that taints our country.

On a much smaller scale though, I know that many of my friendships would be healthier if people honestly said what they were thinking. No opinions should be silenced, and the only way we can work through issues is to communicate. If I found the courage to tell you exactly what prompted me to do what I do, perhaps you would respect my decision. If you told me what was on your mind and stopped hiding the thoughts behind your actions, maybe I could figure out a way to change.

In the near future, I hope we can reach true understanding. And then keep it to ourselves to prevent drama that inevitably follows.

No comments: